Talk about a fast and easy recipe (don’t we just love those?) It takes all of about 10 minutes to prepare this Baked Mozzarella and Pesto Chicken dish (excluding the baking time). Don’t wait for the “catch” – it will never come! It’s just a fast and simple, delicious dish that the whole family will love.
Once the chicken is baking in the oven, you can sort the rest of your dinner out. I often cook up veggies and even some plain pasta to serve on the side (the combination of chicken, pesto and cheese lends itself so well to pasta don’t you think?). Or, you could whip up some totally delicious and Easy Zucchini Fritters or some Ginger and Honey Glazed Carrots to go on the side. Hope you love it as much as we do.
Baked Mozzarella and Pesto Chicken
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 500g chicken breasts, cut into large even sized strips (similar size to chicken tenderloins – or, you could just use tenderloins!)
- 1/2 cup pesto (I use store bought pesto in a jar)
- 2 tsp. crushed garlic
- 2/3 cup Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Spray a medium sized baking dish with olive oil spray.
- Spread half of the pesto over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer the chicken in the baking dish.
- Spread the garlic and the remainder of the pesto over the chicken.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is golden on top.
- Don’t overcook the chicken or else it will dry out. As your oven is no doubt different than mine, cooking times may vary. I suggest you check the chicken at the 20 minute mark and if it needs more put it back and keep checking every 5 minutes. Then, make a note on the recipe so you know for next time exactly how long the chicken takes to cook in your oven.
- If your chicken is cooked but these cheese is not golden on top, pop the baking dish under the grill for a few minutes.