This delicious basic banana bread is heavenly enjoyed as morning or afternoon tea. It’s lovely fresh out of the oven served plain and is delicious with a spread of butter for a couple of days afterwards. If you have bananas that need using, make a loaf of this banana bread and freeze it to have on hand when visitors pop over. (It is just as nice and fresh when it is defrosted.)
Basic Banana Bread
- Melted dairy spread or butter to grease
- 1 3/4 cups (220 g) SR flour
- 1/4 cup (30 g) plain flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup (120 g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) skim milk
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 50 g (2 oz) butter, melted and cooled
- 2 over-ripe medium sized bananas, mashed
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/355F and brush an 11cm x 21cm (5in x 8in) (base measurement) loaf pan with dairy spread to grease. Line the base and 2 opposite sides with non-stick baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang.
- Sift the combined flours and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar then make a well in the centre.
- Combine the milk, egg, butter and banana in a bowl. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Spoon into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake in the oven for around 40 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 5 minutes to cool before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut slices and serve plain or with some butter.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in an airtight container. Label, date and freeze it for up to 1 month. Thaw in the fridge overnight.